Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Guess What I Found Out

 I learned through astute observation that my abs separated due to the pregnancy. It is called diastasis recti, which is just a fancy way of saying the rectus abdominis has pulled apart. No wonder, I'm surprised the gap isn't worse with how big I got (ok I wasn't that big, but I felt like I was). The doctors of course didn't even check for it, so I had no idea until I was lying on the floor one night and felt the gap. I had no idea how to fix it and I'd heard that it could cause back pain if it wasn't healed so I did what any person would do...I googled it. I found out that regular crunches actually make the separation worse. Now I am faithfully doing my safe ab exercises that I found on this site http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=805 and I have already noticed the gap lessening. I have also been wrapping the moby wrap around my stomach to try and trick the muscles into reconnecting while I am doing the exercises and when I'm at home just hanging out with James. I was talking to a friend from another country and she said that when she had her first baby she had a big sheet wrapped around her middle for the first couple of weeks. She thought it was weird, but now she knows why. I think they make fancy support bands you can buy  to do the same thing. Hopefully I can get these abs working right again so that my back is supported for all the lifting and carrying I am doing these days. As hard as it is getting used to my post pregnancy body, with clothes not fitting and all, I would do it all again in a heart beat. It's all worth it. I mean, this kid is cute even when he cries (most of the time anyways).  

All ready to go for a walk. 

He even smiles when he sleeps. 

:) 


1 comment:

  1. right now i'm not a fan of my body, but i like that you said even though you're not totally back to normal you would do it all again. and those pictures are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete