James was in his first 5K last week. We had the crazy idea to run a 5k while pushing him in the stroller. After running a 5k in New Canaan we thought it would be fun to take James with us. What we didn't realize was that there is only so much road space when you run with 16,000 people. Guess that's what we get for signing up to run in Orlando's biggest race. It took 10 minutes just to get up to the starting line after the gun went off. The speakers were blaring and James started to cry before we even started running. I was starting to think that this was a very bad idea and that I would just grab the stroller and sneak to the very back and jog behind everyone. And just when I was about to do just that we got to the starting line and started to run...only to then start the ridiculous dodging game to miss the people ALREADY walking about 50 ft from the starting line. I admit that I was slightly annoyed...okay maybe it was more like medium irritation because I just wanted to run. I wanted to tell them that there was a walking race at the same place and that this was a running event. And then I remembered the point of 5k's...to exercise and raise money for a good cause. I mean after all it was only 3 days after the horrific events at the Boston Marathon and a large portion of the funds raised for my 5k was going to help the people there. Quickly, I decided to change my attitude. I started silently cheering people on because they were here and even though they couldn't run they were at least trying to. We still had to dodge people right and left and even do a little off-roading at times to feel like we were moving, but once my outlook changed I quite enjoyed the race. James protested a few times at the bumpy parts. We kept hearing people say, "wow that baby is fast," to which Chris replied, "yeah we have to run to keep up with him." Our time wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. I told Chris that the next 5k we run we should plan on running it under 25 minutes to we can be at the very beginning. Pretty sure he's all for it...I just have to train enough to make that happen. Although, I must say that I am loving the Florida running conditions too. Flat and low elevation :)

Just doing what he does best. Drinking milk and making a mess :)
Waiting for the race to start.
He was practicing moving those legs ;)
Eating a snack :)
After the race.
This is how we eat oatmeal at the Bench house.
Love that baby face oatmeal and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment