The rest of the drive was uneventful. Except for the snowstorm. In May. It was tiny and mostly just fun and it probably helped keep me awake, because we finally made it to the ranch at 1:00AM. I cleaned up poop. again. poor kid. and then packed my kids and bags upstairs and got us all tucked into bed. And then got to sleep in little bursts amidst the baby being awake and in a new place. Such is life with a little one.
The kids then got to play in the snow, roam with cousins, jump on the trampoline, sleep outside, change sprinkler pipe, ride a horse, you know. all the fun things that come with being on a ranch. I have never been more grateful to my family for all their love and support. Even if they were also contributors to certain things. HAHA. We went to a hot springs on our way to stay at a cabin and Seth stepped in a hot stream and burned his foot. Nothing like hearing the piercing pain scream from my child to get my mommy heart pumping and brain racing. My dad gave him a blessing and we continued on. My heart ached for him but it was equally comforted at the kindness of my nephews and nieces and brothers and dad and mom and sisters. We stayed one night at the cabin and I slept for an hour here and there between the baby and Seth but it was fun and I would do it again. I got to spend all that driving time with my dad. Made me remember my childhood and all the hours I followed him around just to talk and listen.
When we got back to the ranch, my amazing mom doctored Seth up right and his foot looks amazing now. You wouldn't even know he'd been burned. (That was a hard thing and I hope he knows how very brave and strong he was. You can do anything Seth. Anything.) We got a total of 6 ticks pulled off of us all. With 3 of those being on me, Matty and Liam. When I found Liam's during his head check I just sat him on the counter, asked my brothers to take care of it and finish checking his head for ticks because I just couldn't take anymore. They did. I'm pretty sure that's what heaven is going to be like. Minus the injuries and bugs of course. I think it will be all of us just helping and loving each other with no judgment. Family. That's heaven.
We then kept playing and sleeping and eating and changing pipe and doctoring kids. Matthew hit his head on the trampoline. I had just sat down to nurse Anders and I hear a Matty cry and then I hear another kid say, "whoa! Look at all the blood!" Head wounds. They bleed a lot but in this case it was harmless. My mom got to him before I did and loved on him and cleaned him all up and she and Travis got him all bandaged. And now there's just a little scar. One to match his Uncle Brian's forehead scar from the very same trampoline probably doing the same exact thing. Jumping with cousins. Making memories.
James' hands were cracking and bleeding because he wouldn't let me put oil or lotion on them for the longest time. His Florida skin was having a hard time adjusting to the dry Idaho air. He's all back to normal now though and will probably keep his hands moist when we decide to visit a drier climate again. I hope.
Liam must have walked into a door or the bench or something while we were there because as I was nursing the baby I heard and thud, and then screaming. He had a nice black eye for a while. Going to church was kind of humorous as it probably looked like we Benches got in a fight with a bull. But I'm happy to report we emerged victorious and I know I learned quite a lot. I hope the boys did too. Just got to toughen up the city boys a bit I guess.
We went and saw Justin and Katelynn's new house and goats and roasted hot dogs and spent the night. I wish I'd had it in me to go camping with him but by this point in the trip I was running on empty. Maybe even just fumes. The boys were all coughing like crazy and night and some had a fever and Anders never slept more than a few hours at a time and I was run ragged. Camping and trying to keep Anders quiet so everyone else could sleep again might have done me in. I was kind of mental mess. So my dear brother, forgive me and know that I sincerely love you and hope to be able to go on lots more camping trips with you guys. When I am not running on empty.
Chris caught up to us again and we were all sooooo glad to see him! That was a long time to be apart. We enjoyed more cousins. We rode horses. I took a nap or two. And then Chris got sick. Lay on the couch and sleep sick. Poor guy. Nothing like starting the trip with a crazy stomach bug and ending it with another bug. Then I got sick, but I hid it well. That sore throat though, was horrible.
We drove to Chris' parents and the baby screamed at least half of the whole way. Because why not scream when we are all stuck in a fancy rental car together for hours and hours. I love my in-laws. Like I'm pretty sure I got the best ones. It's just like coming home when I'm with them. We shot marshmallows into the ditch. Ate from the garden. Made homemade ice cream. When on jet-skis with Uncle Josh and Aunt April. Saw some buffalo. Dreamed about living close to each other. And mostly, my heart was filled to the brim with how much love they have for their kids and grandkids and bonus kids. I wish I had gotten to spend more time with them and that I wasn't so run down by then. And I should have written this down sooner as my memory is failing on me just now. But for my kids reading this one day. Don't you ever doubt how much you are loved by your Bench grandparents. Never. I mean, you got homemade ice cream and grandpa's waffles and grandma's pies. Grandma Carrie got up with me in the middle of the night when a baby was screaming and the toddler was too. I couldn't help them both at the same time so she got one while I helped the other. Saying goodbye was the hardest part. It always is. Always.
Then we stopped and saw Grandma Roberts on our way out. I love her. She's always so quick to show compassion and makes me feel so understood. I am truly sorry we couldn't stay longer grandma. We met at a park and didn't want to pass any germs we still might have had along to you. We sat in the parking lot and Chris and I cried for a long time. Living far away truly is hard. I am so grateful for technology. I can't imagine loading up in a wagon or a boat and saying goodbye to loved ones for the rest of their lives. Yes. Mail and technology are pretty amazing.
We stopped at my sister's for the night and flew back to Florida. It was a long, much needed trip. It filled a place in my heart that had been empty for a while living so far away. I wish I could have done more and spent more time with all the people I love, but alas, we have to make do with what we have sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment