Sometimes I wonder if the medical profession gurus all get together and say....hmmmm how can we make life a little more interesting for first time moms, but deep down I know that they are just trying to save lives and I am forever grateful for those medical people because I have a healthy, happy little man now because of them.
I'm sure you are familiar with the "Back to Sleep" campaign which says that babies are supposed to sleep on their backs now in order to reduce the risk of SIDS. However, because of this about 1 in 10 babies get funny shaped heads now because they are on their backs so much. I sometimes wonder if James is going for a record with how many odds he can beat :) (Heart problems occur in about 1 in 100 babies). Anyways, to counteract the amount of time spent on their backs, babies are supposed to have tummy time during the day and switch which side of their head they lay (lie??) on every night. But what do you do when your baby only turns his neck one way and always spits up (or cries) when they have tummy time? I guess you just deal with the fact that a crooked head might be inevitable. I tried everything I could possibly think of besides putting him on his tummy every night (which probably would have been just fine because before this whole back to sleep thing babies were supposed to sleep on their stomachs) to prevent a flat spot from occurring on the back of his little head, and I do think it kept him from having a more severe plagiocephaly (crooked head), but it wasn't enough so now he gets to wear this awesome DOC band aka helmet to help his head grow back into the beautiful round shape it started out as. If all goes well and James keeps growing then he should get it off in November. He doesn't even notice that it's on most of the time and he has to wear it 23 hours every day with one hour for bath time.
No comments:
Post a Comment